Re: [RFR] templates://webfs/{templates}

tisdag den  2 mars 2010 klockan 09:56 skrev Justin B Rye detta:
> Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
>
> Most of these corrections are fine (thanks for spotting the typos),
> but:
> >  Template: webfsd/web_syslog
> >  Type: boolean
> >  Default: false
> >
> > The slashes are legacy text not to my liking.
>
> This style of parenthetical alternations where the last element is
> an ellipsis (to indicate that the list is incomplete) is standard C
> syntax, but I don't think I've ever seen an anglophone
> non-programmer use it.  With slashes it can at least pass for some
> sort of abbreviated CLI-ism; if you insist on commas then I would
> suggest replacing the ellipsis with "etcetera".

I did in fact consider replacing the ellipsis with "etc.", but got
cold feets due to the closing period. After checking, my dictionary
states "et cetera" as the only fully spelled out option.

Is a bare abbreviation 'etc' approriate here? I would prefer either
"et cetera" or "etc" over the ellipsis based on the very same
argument as you state.

> > As an experienced TeX and LaTeX user, I am conscious of the notion of
> > French spacing. The continental Western European and Northern European
> > languages are using a single space after a full period, whereas the
> > North American habit, as well as the the Anglosaxon habit, as far as I
> > understand, is to use double spacing after a full stop. Anyone can
> > observe the same thing in most manual pages, as well as in the kernel
> > documentation. The present template file displays a handful instances
> > of this single spacing, as displayed above. I need advice on how to
> > implement this in any template file.
>
> You may have noticed that I'm a habitual doublespacer, but some of
> the display formats for package descriptions and so on automatically
> re-wrap text, crushing sequences of whitespace, so I've never seen
> the point of trying to micromanage them.

A well made and highly relevant remark on the background automatic
normalisations.

--
Mats Erik Andersson, fil. dr
<mats.andersson@gisladisker.se>