Re: [ITR] templates://apt-cacher-ng/{apt-cacher-ng.templates}

Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de>
>> Why do you mean by saying "origin"?

(I assumed when you used the word you meant it in the same sense as
in a Releases file, or as in "aptitude search '?origin(Debian)'".
If not, never mind.  The part that was confusing me has mostly gone
away anyway...)

[...]
>> Here is the version I was talking about plus changed short description:

Phew, this was already a definite improvement.

>>  Apt-Cacher NG is a caching proxy for download of packages from Debian-style
>>  software repositories and may also support other package types.

It would flow better as "for downloading packages from..."; "may
support" sounds uncertain about its features, and "other package
types" seems to suggest that I could get .rpm packages from a
Debian-style software repository.  How about:

    Apt-Cacher NG is a caching proxy for downloading packages from Debian-style
    software repositories (or possibly from other types).

>>  .
>>  The main principle is a central machine which hosts the proxy for a local
>>  network, and clients configure their APT setup to download through it.
>>  Apt-Cacher NG keeps a copy of all useful data that passes through it, and when
>>  a similar request is made, the cached copy of the data is delivered without
>>  being re-downloaded.

I would try to avoid saying "the principle is a machine":

    The principle is that a central machine hosts the proxy for a local
    network, [...]

>>  .
>>  Apt-Cacher NG has been designed from scratch as a replacement for
>>  apt-cacher, but with a focus on maximizing throughput with low system
>>  resource requirements. It can also be used as replacement for apt-proxy and
>>  approx with no need to modify clients' sources.list files.

Or just "It can also replace apt-proxy or approx [...]".

>> And the changed templates file:
>>
>> __Choices: Set up once, Set up now and update later, No automated setup
>> _Default: Set up once

Christian points out this shouldn't be a question.  But

is getting unwieldy; maybe:

[...]
> Then the language gets a little jumbled. I suggest:
>
>    Apt-Cacher NG can download packages from repositories other than those
>    requested by the clients. This enables quicker initial configuration of
>    clients, and one place to change mirrors later.

Enables a place?  Hmm.  And how does having a proxy make initial
configuration quicker than if all my machines just pointed APT
directly at the default mirror?

>>  This remapping of URLs can be configured now in an automated way based on the
>>  current state of /etc/apt/sources.list. Optionally, this process can be
>>  repeated on every package update (modifying the configuration files each
>>  time).
>>  .
>>  Selecting "No automated setup" will leave the existing configuration
>>  unchanged. It will need to be updated manually.

No complaints about any of this.