Re: Re: lilo entry for Knoppix on hard disk.

Hi Klaus,
If I remember this right grub4dos incorporated or got inspired from the same boot mechanism as used by isolinux. (Easy to verify in the changelog files or source code) Btw, grub4dos works great for me on all my systems. Again if you want to keep isolinux, please at least just add a boot entry to start grub4dos from isolinux, so users can use your cd/dvd to start an interactive boot loader (grub4dos) in order to boot and recover their broken system. (more precisely, via the inetractive grub interface someone can navigate through the file systems, find and boot their boot menu config file) FYI, to easily add a "more "friendly" boot menu entry to Vista or Win 7, please consider trying EasyBCD from NeoSmart. Grub4dos (grldr) can easily be configured (by EasyBCD) to be started from BCD (the new MSFT boot loader).
My two cents,
Gilles

At 03:38 PM 6/10/2011, Klaus Knopper wrote:
On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 11:57:17PM +0000, Capri Corny wrote:
>    >I am using grub4dos (grldr is a much improved variant of grub legacy)
>    >which also supports ntfs, pxe and cd boot with command line editing.
>    >The same binary can be used for multi boot from: dos, xp, win7, ...
>    >or simply from the mbr of the hdd. It has tons a very nice features as
>    graphical
>    >menus, auto-completion, iso/floppy/disk emulation, ramdisk boot,
>    chainload,
>    >and overall it is one of the best boot loader in my opinion. I like to
>    see grub4dos
>    >replace isolinux on the next Knoppix release as it could be used to
>    rescue
>    >systems already from the boot loader... (or at least have it as a boot
>    option from isolinux)
>    >cf: [1]http://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/downloads/list
>
>    That sounds very reasonable to me. One of the effects of constantly
>    switching between 4 bootloaders (syslinux, lilo, grub, grub2) is that I
>    don't get much insight and proficiency in any of them.

Well, we use
isolinux for booting from CD/DVD
syslinux for booting from USB flashdisk
 where both share the exact same syntax in their configuration files,
so it is actually very easy to create a bootable USB stick from the CD/DVD iso.
grub for the uncompressed harddisk installation
because syslinux just supports FAT-filesystems, and we need dualboot capabilities
 for legacy operating systems.

Can grub4dos boot Linux reliably from DVD? I'm not quite sure. :-(

I have been thinking about extlinux for booting the harddisk-installed
version, so we could reuse the same config file again as syslinux and
isolinux, but then, we would be limited to installing Knoppix to an ext*
filesytem only.

> And if one single
>    distro should be geared towards multi-booting in diverse environments, I
>    guess that would be Knoppix. One direction to go, might be to create a
>    utility script/programs that assisted with different alternatives, using
>    grub4dos as the default.� For example, I don't know if it is still
>    possible, but in NT4 days I used to setup the NT bootloader to start up
>    Linux. A utility program could assist/take care of such issues.

I think it got more complicated to set up the Windows bootmenu for
booting Linux in "Windows 7". There is no textfile like boot.ini anymore
which can be edited with a simple text editor in order to extend the
menu.

Regards
-Klaus