lxde with orca

Hi,
I digged through the archives but did not find the info I am after.

I am trying to figure out how to get orca to speak in lxde.
When I tried xfce I had to export this variable before starting the desktop
export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
I know this can go in a .xinitrc or saw on the list .xsessionrc file
Do not know if they both do the same job or if are different.
Is the variable the same needing to export before starting lxde?

Is there anybody on list who have successfully tweaked a default lxde to perform as well as it did when I once tried knoppix.

I cant get the latest knoppix to speak.
Installed to hard drive but think it may not have transferred the adriane system.
Am willing to try again if someone points me in the right direction.
I have the dvd edition which I am told by #knoppix freenode has adriane included if I pass knoppix=adriane at boot loader.

Thank you for advice or references to websites or mail archives.

Rob Whyte