Re: Kill Power vs. Clean Shutdown

Depends on whether or not you have swap. If you do, there is a SMALL possibility that you could power down during a write to the swap artition and that you would get a spurious write that could trash the partition data -- or even real data.

I usually use ''poweroff -f' It takes all of about 3-10 seconds with Knoppix 5.0.1, and ensures that there
are no spurious writes.

Tim Ross wrote:
If you're running the Live CD and don't have any external devices mounted, can you power the machine down with the on/off button rather than do a clean shutdown without hurting anything?

Since we're dealing with a RAM disk, I'd think nothing would get "hurt" by killing the power (and it would be faster)...

--
Stephen Samuel +1(778)861-7641             samnospam@bcgreen.com
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/