Re: GPL issues (Re: sources for Knoppix 4.02)

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 12:17:21PM -0700, Ryan Finnie wrote:
> (Sorry about the [debian-knoppix], I often forget which mailing lists I
> have procmail add subject tags to.)
>
> Klaus Knopper wrote:
> > Something REALLY annoying is that in a few cases, the name and version
> > of the binary package does not match the name and version of the source
> > that produced the binary in Debian. My best guess is that there are
> > smetimes "manual" renames of binaries becaure of a versioning policy
> > between Debian and the original package version that I do not fully
> > understand yet. But anyways, in most cases, leaving an intermediate
> > "+WIP" or something like this, helps finding the correct source from the
> > Debian snapshot mirror.
>
> I see that often, with 2 different styles: package_1.2.3-1+b1 and
> package_1.2.3-1.0.1, both where package_1.2.3-1 are the only sources
> available.

Right, I noticed this, too. Very bad to an automatic script for fetching
sources. :-(

> I came across the answer to the first in the Debian
> documentation: +b# just means it was a manual upload from an
> architecture porter, so package_1.2.3-1+b1 was really built from the
> package_1.2.3-1 source package.  package_1.2.3-1.0.1 I'm not sure about,
> but it looks like packages like that are also built against the
> package_1.2.3-1 source.
>
> Occasionally, the Source: section of a package hints to a different
> version of a source package, like this:
>
> Package: bash
> Source: bash (2.05b-2-26)
> Version: 2.05b-26

What about this:

knopper@Koffer:~$ dpkg -s e2fsprogs
Package: e2fsprogs
Essential: yes
Section: base
Installed-Size: 1456
Maintainer: Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.38+1.39-WIP-2005.12.31-1

knopper@Koffer:~$ apt-get source e2fsprogs=1.38+1.39-WIP-2005.12.31-1
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
E: Kann Quellpaket für e2fsprogs nicht finden

Awful, isn't it? And there is NO hint about the real name of the source
archive. You really have to GUESS from the versions that the snapshot
mirror provides.

Regards
-Klaus