[debian-knoppix] The ext3 mounted as ext2 problem

This seems endemic to those who install knoppix and decide to switch of ext2
to ext3 (or add an ext3 paritition).

Run tune2f -j, ok, edit /etc/fstab, ok, reboot (holding one's breath... )

The thing boots and all looks fine, except one gets that warning: The the ext3
was being mounted as ext2.

Fstab and mtab both SAY ext3. Any info on the partitions from some program
says ext3, but /proc/mounts has it as ext2. I even had an accidental hard
reboot and had the file system 100% clean and felt, hay it IS working. There
is no journal process running however. Lucked out that time.

Ext3 is listed as "module". It either must be compiled into the kernel or an
initrd made to preload it. Knoppix should have done that but ... How does one
make this initrd. I edited the mkinitrd.conf and modules files but am unable
to run the mkinitrd. Just repeats its help screen..