Re: [debian-knoppix] scp speed?

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 07:52:41AM +0200, Ralf Neugebauer wrote:
> Hello to ya all,
> i use knoppix for administrating my SuSE Linux Computerpool.
> I transfer Partition Images from my Mastercomputer to the Clients.
> I do it always with scp. When i use knoppix for transfering the image with
> about 1.8 GB i need 50 Minutes. When i use SuSE Linux insted I need 5
> minutes. Where come the time factor 10 from?
> I switched using_dma on while using knoppix.

Maybe your older SuSE installation uses the insecure version 1 of the
SSH protocol. I have experienced some speed problems with the more
secure (and thus probably more checking overhead) version 2 of the SSH
protocol, but only in connection with with erraneous switches that split
large packets.

Also, please check that you have switched compression ON in both cases,
using either the Compression=yes config statement, or -C as option to
scp.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper
--
Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/