Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: knoppix from hd

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 03:48 pm, Massimiliano Mirra wrote:
> "baldyeti" <e_fax_t@hotmail.com> writes:
> > recent knoppix CD's have the qtparted utility which supposedly
> > allows one to shrink one such partition, hence freeing space for
> > whichever other filesystem you need.
>
> Tried.  It works.

I was shot down last time I mentioned this, but especially under the above
example, if you are using a ReiserFS in a partition that you resize, you must
reboot after the resize, but prior to the installation-reinstallation of
ReiserFS on the newly sized partition.

I'm not an expert on this, so check Hans Reiser's site, especially the faq.
If you don't reboot after the resizing (and keep an original ReiserFS),
you'll get error messages in your logs at a minimum, and possibly lose data
where the files system ends prior to, or after the partition end point, as
ReiserFS still thinks the partition size is the same as the original size.

According to Hans Reiser, the reboot requirement will be gone when the new .0
release is out.

Due to problems with my computers and lack of time, I haven't been able to
send to the list the detailed info on the reboot requirements of ReiserFS, or
on Suse's lack of a reboot requirement due to their specific patches to
either the ReiserFS or the kernel, but at least the non-Suse specifics are on
the site when I took another quick look.  Some is in the faq, some is
elsewhere on the site.  I started to create an email to send, but screwed it
up because the Reiser site uses frames, and I was copy/pasting the main url
each time I found specific info on this issue, instead of copying/pasting the
url of the relevant info.  That email is sitting on a busted suse
installation right now, which I only figured out today how to access/use
email from a knoppix disk, accessing email directories from the suse
installation, and sending emails from the correct user names/passwords from
the underlying system.

I should get something out on this issue in the next few days.

Bing.