Re: [debian-knoppix] Possible idea for Klaus's hardware probing skills

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 10:56, Ian Tindale wrote:
> It occurs to me that the hardware probing side of Knoppix is a very impressive
> feature. How about using the same sort of techniques to put together a 'head
> start' in terms of kernel config files?

given the fact that it detected and mounted my non-standard
compact-flash reader on this pc and managed to use the features of the
hercules stingray 128/3D graphic card in my server pc which i could
never set up correctly in debian's woody although several people told me
the at3d driver was correct as did the XFree86 config tool, it's a great
idea to use knoppix' hardware detection for setting up kernels in other
linuxes.

to take this idea even a step further it would be great to provide it
with an update functionality similar to debian's apt-get accessing a web
database of always the latest kernel modules... or even let apt-get take
over that job with a few kernel modules packages.
and to take it even more further, it could even provide the option to
test the settings before continuing with a small program for every kind
of device... a mouse testing program, a graphics testing program, a
readonly tree of all mounted disks... etc.

heh just dreaming :) keep up your imagination to make the future reality
--lastfuture