Re: Testing git-debrebase/dgit in the linux git repo

Hi Ian

On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 02:25:17AM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> How big a problem this is depends how much your team works in
> parallel.

We are using merge requests in gitlab, to review our work.  This means
we have merges all over the place.

I tried using git-debrebase on one of my other packages.  To mimic
merge request I used merges to introduce new upstream versions.  It did
not survive a git debrebase new-upstream, as the resulting tree is not
longer a fast forward to master and it actually removed commits.

See https://salsa.debian.org/waldi/lvm2-gitdebrebase-test/network/master

To get to this state I used the following commands:

% git checkout -b feature/2.02.177 master
% git debrebase new-upstream 2.02.177
% git checkout master
% git merge --no-ff feature/2.02.177
% git checkout -b feature/2.02.179 master
% git debrebase new-upstream 2.02.179

I tried the whole thing a second time, had to "git reset --hard" a few
times, but now git debrebase does not even manage to use
"convert-from-gbp", the patches vanish.  Not sure what this is about.

I'm really missing from the documentation how a git tree using debrebase
should look like, where the merges should be.

Bastian

--
She won' go Warp 7, Cap'n!  The batteries are dead!