Re: Debian has become totally unusable on my amd64 system -- no stable kernel available

On Sat, 2014-02-01 at 09:38 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> Never have I seen such an unstable system.  In fairness, this is my
> first amd64 system.  All previous systems I have used have been i386
> systems.  But I cannot find any Debian Linux kernel that is stable on
> my amd64 system.  The best I can find is linux-image-3.11-2-amd64,
> version 3.11.10-1.  This kernel boots, but falls apart as soon as it
> needs to page.  The 3.12 kernel currently in jessie and sid won't even
> boot.  It craps out on me before I can even login.  The 3.13 kernel
> in experimental will boot, but is even more unstable than the 3.11
> kernel.  Paging problems seem to be the common denominator.  I don't
> even know where to start.  I may as well turn my computer off until
> I can find a stable kernel.  If there's anything I can do to help,
> please let me know.

It's not clear to me whether you were previously running an i386
installation on the same hardware.  If so, this behaviour is very
surprising.

If this is a new system then I suspect there is a hardware fault, such
as:
- faulty memory (memtest86+ may be able to confirm this)
- faulty disk controller
- inadequate power supply

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to write an incorrect program than to understand a correct one.