linuxrc / initrd fail to mount dev or proc?

What might be wrong with my linuxrc / initrd that it fails to mount dev or proc, though I can mount them manually from the prompt?

I'm trying to build an initrd image. I tried initrd-tools, but I'm building the initrd for a foreign architecture, something which mkinitrd doesn't yet support, I think. So I'm building it manually. After resolving / avoiding some problems (endianness, depmod for foreign architecture, etc.) I think I'm making progress; I'm experiencing _real_ problems.

My kernel supports DEVFS_FS, but not DEVFS_MOUNT, so my linuxrc consists of:

#!/bin/sh

mount -nt devfs devfs dev
mount -nt proc proc proc

sh

Initially, I gather it couldn't get this far without a console device:

Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic: Attempt to kill init!

So I created a single device, console, on the initrd. Now I get to the prompt, but neither dev nor proc are mounted. Entering "mount -nt devfs devfs dev" & "mount -nt proc proc proc" at the prompt works; I can mount dev & proc manually, but not from my linuxrc. My only other information is the following, which is printed just before prompt:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 164k init 4k chrp 32k prep
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

What might be wrong with my linuxrc / initrd that it fails to mount dev or proc?

Thanks very much for any help!

Jack