Re: Package management tool

Hi Marc,

yes, I agree.

I will again drop DEP-11 (package) meta-data support and limit APT
translations (see attachments).

Best regards,
-Sedat-

On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 8:08 PM Marc Haber <mh+debian-kde@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for your comments. I have in the mean time decided that plasma
> discover is probably not the correct tool to maintain a Debian system
> and will continue to recommend using the command line tools or synaptic
> if a clickable frontend is absolutely desired by the local user even if
> KDE is being used.
>
> Greetings
> Marc
>
> --
> Marc Haber         | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header
> Leimen, Germany    |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402
> Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421

HELP-1: https://askubuntu.com/questions/823329/how-do-i-disable-fetching-of-dep-11-files
HELP-2: https://askubuntu.com/questions/775069/what-is-appstream-why-is-it-installed-what-is-it-doing/
HELP-3: https://askubuntu.com/a/1212176/1046623

dileks writes:

I have added DefaultEnabled "false"; in section deb::DEP-11 (see /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50appstream) to avoid the download of the DEP-11 metadata.

To disable all unwanted download of DEP-11 metadata and especially icons I have set explicitly or changed to DefaultEnabled "false"; (see 60apper and 60icons* files and deb::DEP-11-icons* sections).

The appstream cache is refreshed and stored here with 19MiB of total size on my system:

root# LC_ALL=C du -s -h /var/cache/app-info
19M     /var/cache/app-info

UPDATE: Some numbers of today's apt-get update: Reduced download size from normally approx. 50MiB down to 1,5MiB.

UPDATE-2: Shows all DEP-11 APT configs: root# apt-config dump | grep DEP-11

Note-1: Involved are the APT configs of the packages appstream, apper and apt-config-icons.
Note-2: I do not use GUI based package-managers like plasma-discover and gnome-software to upgrade software which require a refresh of the DEP-11 metadata and icons.

-dileks // 26-FEB-2020: UPDATE-2: Shows all DEP-11 APT configs: root# apt-config dump | grep DEP-11
-dileks // 22-FEB-2020: Update 2020-02-22: "Numbers talk, bullshit walks." (Linus Torvalds)
-dileks // 21-FEB-2020: Initial version
HELP: https://askubuntu.com/questions/74653/how-can-i-remove-the-translation-entries-in-apt/
HELP: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~bioc1289/post/2013/01/right-way-to-not-download-apt-translation.html

HELP: https://askubuntu.com/a/1213153/1046623

I do not want to download German APT translation files.

As a comprise I have set explicitly in a new /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99translations file with order first English then None translations:

Acquire::Languages { "en"; "none"; };

I have removed all existing German translation files via rm -v /var/lib/apt/lists/*i18n_Translation-de*.

Before:

root# apt-config dump | grep Languages
Acquire::Languages "";
Acquire::Languages:: "de_DE";
Acquire::Languages:: "de";
Acquire::Languages:: "en";
Acquire::Languages:: "none";

After:

root# apt-config dump | grep Languages
Acquire::Languages "";
Acquire::Languages:: "en";
Acquire::Languages:: "none";

If there a multiple users with different $LANGUAGE settings the recommended setting should be (here: with order 1. environment 2. English 3. None):

Acquire::Languages { "environment"; "en"; "none"; };

AFAICS this is the default setting (see above output of "Before:" section).

[1] http://users.ox.ac.uk/~bioc1289/post/2013/01/right-way-to-not-download-apt-translation.html

-dileks // 26-Feb-2020