Re: Upgrading to PostgreSQL 12

On zaterdag 2 november 2019 10:16:20 CET Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hmmm, to me that looks like you are using a system wide PostgreSQL
> database. I am using a user based one.
>
> For a PostgreSQL database using as the user and using ~/.local/share/
> akonadi/db_data the KDE Userbase wiki has some instructions:
> https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi/Postgres_update

I wasn't even aware of a user based one and I don't have a ~/.local/share/
akonadi/db_data file/dir.
I set up my akonadi DB following https://www.enricozini.org/blog/2015/akonadi-install/

> Also there might be an issue for user based PostgreSQL:
> Akonadi refuses to start after upgrade to PostgreSQL 12: column
> "version" of relation "schemaversiontable" already exists
> https://bugs.kde.org/412629

I haven't seen that.

> The Debian bug report https://bugs.debian.org/941763

For some (imo) weird reason every new version of PostgreSQL needs to be
explicitly added to QT, which also means a new (minor) update to QT is needed.
And that's why I never just upgrade to a new version of PostgreSQL before
making sure QT supports it. All other packages I upgrade without further
research (ofc I do have apt-listbugs installed to get notified of RC bugs)

I should've done an akonadictl restart/fsck/vacuum after the upgrade, but
didn't. I just did that and it had a collection with ~10k unreferenced RIDs
(which is unusually large). I have no idea whether that had anything to do
with the upgrade though. I just consider that an oddity with akonadi that
happens from time to time. I also have to do 'akonadictl restart' twice before
I see lines like this:
Application '/usr/bin/akonadi_imap_resource' exited normally...

Mail, calendar and contacts all seem to work after the upgrade and that's good
enough for me.