Re: improving the UX with the default KDE installation

fradev - 07.05.17, 18:27:
> Popcon results:
> | distro | package    |    inst | vote |     old | recent | no-files |
> |
> |--------+------------+---------+------+---------+--------+----------|
> |
> | Debian | gnome-orca |   80219 | 3611 |   61008 |  15536 |       64 |
> | Ubuntu | gnome-orca | 2212520 | 1166 | 2209850 |    659 |      845 |
>
> (see [1] to understand the meaning of the columns)
>
> Number of submissions considered in Debian popcon:  197536
> Number of submissions considered in Ubuntu popcon: 2766185
>
> Summarising, in Debian:
> - 40.61% (80219 people out of 197536) installed this package
> - 9.72% (80219-61008=19211 people out of 197536) installed this package and
>   use it regularly
> - 1.82% (3611 people out of 197536) use this package regularly
>
> in Ubuntu:
> - 79.99% installed this package
> - 0.09% installed this package and use it regularly
> - 0.04% use this package regularly
>
> There is a discrepancy between the number of users who installed the
> package  and the number of users who regularly use it, so I wonder if
> popcon considers as "inst" only the installations requested by users or
> also installations performed automatically because of dependencies (e.g.
> task-kde-desktop --> gnome-orca).

Maybe Debian users are more careful what packages are installed… or the
default set of meta packagers for Debian and Ubuntu, likely installed as
Kubuntu for most users differ.

> Given that, I would consider the percentage of people who use the package as
> a  more reliable data. So, because it is evident that the percentage of
> people who use gnome-orca is under the threshold of the 25%, and because it
> is not an integral application of the KDE Plasma desktop, this package
> should not be recommended (installed by apt tools by default). Proposing it
> as suggested package instead of recommended seems to be reasonable.

I think thats a good idea to consider. I´d file a report against the task-kde
package in question.

Ciao,
--
Martin