Re: kde 5.7

Hello Hillel.

Am Freitag, 8. Juli 2016, 12:55:22 CEST schrieb Hillel Lubman:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2016 16:38:15 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Yep, further packages coming. Maxy started uploading Plasma 5.7.
>
> What about frameworks packages? They still appear to be stuck and not moving
> to testing. For example: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/baloo-kf5[1]
>
> Will testing users need to wait until next frameworks version? In general,
> when such hold up happens, what are Debian testing users recommended to do?

Above page exactly specifies, why the package baloo-kf5 is not yet in Debian.

And if you follow the link there, you get even more detail:

https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=baloo-kf5

https://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=baloo-kf5

According to this is has missing builds on several architectures. Of course
you may say, I don´t care, I only use AMD/Intel 64-Bit, but Debian as a
project cares.

So… if you want to use testing, you either deal with that, help these builds
to complete by analysing and fixing whats failing there – in coordination with
the Qt/KDE team – or accept that for some packages it may take longer than the
usual minimum transition period.

It is really that easy.

For further reference see:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

Specifically:

> How Debian Testing Works
>
> Packages from Debian Unstable enter the next-stable testing distribution
> automatically, when a list of requirements is fulfilled:
>
>     The package has been in "unstable" at least for 2-10 days (depending on
>     the urgency of the upload).
>
>     The package has been built for all the architectures which the present
>     version in testing was built for.
>
>     Installing the package into testing will not make the distribution more
>     uninstallable.
>
>     The package does not introduce new release critical bugs.

I really can´t express this any more crystally clear.

If you sense that I am a bit fed up with this, you are right.

We had this discussion here before and *no* amount of complaining here is
going to fix any of this. It is just a waste of time.

If you don´t want to wait: Use unstable and be prepared that there also
breakups and issues can happen. Its called unstable or sid for a reason. That
said, I think for following Qt/KDE packaging development in Debian it may be
more suitable than testing.

If you don´t want to deal with development issues like this, use stable.

And if you want to have a new stable version each 6 months, help making this a
reality or switch to a different distro.

That said, I intend to train myself in not even responding to complaints like
this any more cause that is not where I want to spend my energy.

Maxy uploads 5.7, other users are happy, but then a complaint like this…

… I choose to be happy that due to the work of Maxy and others we actually
have recent packages and quick updates to new versions… well at least until
the freeze.

Thanks,
--
Martin