Re: plasma desktop broken again :(

Am Freitag, 30. Oktober 2015, 00:09:31 CET schrieb Gary Dale:
> On 29/10/15 04:54 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 09:54:22 -0400
> > Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Gary,
> >
> >> And not wanting to rehash that old argument, the current system is
> >> clearly not working. Surely all the bright people maintaining Debian
> >
> > Debian is run by humans.  Humans, being humans, make mistakes.  It's
> > been admitted that libqt5x11extras5 v5.5.1 getting into testing was not
> > ideal.  Also, reference to this being a corner case.  IOW, a situation
> > that was difficult, if not impossible, to foresee.
> >
> >> can come up with something better?
> >
> > It works the way *they* want it, mistakes notwithstanding.  If you don't
> > like that method of migration, then maybe Debian testing isn't for you.
> > Breakage happens in testing.  By and large, not frequently, but it does
> > happen.  Also, it's not usually such a major issue.  To paraphrase a
> > well known English saying;  "Stuff happens".
>
> Yes, but it's been happening a LOT this time around. I've been running
> Debian Testing for over a decade and don't recall seeing this many major
> fails ever.
>
> If my memory serves me, KDE4 didn't make it into Testing until it was
> reasonably complete and stable - somewhere after 4.2 wasn't it? Until
> then Testing still had KDE3. Why the push to get KDE5 out when it is
> still having massive teething problems?

Hey, Plasma is at 5.4 already. Debian Qt/KDE team didn´t start with the first
releases of Plasma 5 and KDE Frameworks.

I think the first was 5.3 and KDE Frameworks 5.13. But at one time it is
necessary to start pulling in the new stuff so there is enough time to test
and stabilize it enough for next stable.

And thats what unstable and testing really is about.

While I agree that always releasable testing would be fine, I do think it is
challenging to get there without slowing down development of Debian up to a
point where stable cannot be stable anymore cause stuff have not had enough
testing time. And shipping Debian 9 with KDE SC 4.14 and kdelibs 4.11 isn´t an
option either as these are unmaintained upstream meanwhile.

Ciao,
--
Martin