Re: Bootstrapping problem: packaging tsex

Thanks Pirate!

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 01:25:55AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:

> On 19/7/23 1:16 AM, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > [...]
> > One really tricky one is that it depends on a recent version of khroma
> > (bundled with the node-mermaid package).  But khroma now uses tsex to
> > build it; tsex is "A little CLI for making TypeScript packages,
> > cleanly and effortlessly."  But building tsex for Debian gives a
> > bootstrap problem:
> >
> > tsex 2.2.4
> > [...]
>
> In such situations, we can use npmjs.com packages to build a deb and then
> rebuild it again.
>
> First upload will be binary included and then we can do a source only
> upload.
>
> We can create a bootstrap build profile for this.

Exploring further, it turns out that tsex is just a wrapper around
tsc, so the whole package builds fine replacing "tsex compile" with
"tsc" (except for a couple of small patches needed and one upstream
bug that I've reported).

And it also makes me think - perhaps I don't need to package tsex at
all, and we can just build the package that uses tsex for its build by
calling tsc instead!

Best wishes,

   Julian