Re: per user config in debian-jr packages

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Ben Armstrong wrote:

This isn't quite what I had in mind.  Currently, Debian
knows about a single set of site-wide configs in /etc but doesn't have
any concept of "user profile".  I cited menu as an example of
policy-backed Debian infrastructure and did not mean to say that what
I'm after is strictly per-user menus.

Well, I understand that this was just an example.  But why not starting
with implementing this example.  There is room below /etc/cdd for some
configuration stuff and you might probably be able to do something
with symlinks.

What I'd like is for roles to be
definable by packages or administrators and then recognized by packages
that are "profile aware" to provide alternative configurations per
profile.  Thus, a single user could pass from profile A to B to C and
in each profile see a different default desktop layout, different
menus, etc., all without making customizations to the user's
environment in their home dir.

That's why I would suggest to use
        /etc/cdd/<cdd-name>/<cdd-role>/<pkg-name>.conf
or something like that.

What I'm missing for this concept is a mechanism.  I know that to
facilitate multiple packages enhancing a package, monolithic config
files are often split in Debian (e.g. /etc/logrotate.d).  I'm not sure
how profiles would be supported at the desktop layer.  I guess this is
a problem debian-desktop might have some interest in since it enters
onto their turf.

I'm keen on hearing if there is a solution from debian-desktop.  In
this case we could wrap this solution in a CDD-ish way as I mentioned
above.

Kind regards

           Andreas.
--