Re: Remaining task packages ...

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 03:17:23PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Ben Armstrong wrote:
>
> >     junior-simulation-games
> > 	Depends: freeciv
> lincity

Needs a description for our package listing (focus on using this package
with children, appropriate age, etc.).

> >     junior-internet-tools
> > 	Depends: mozilla
> Hmmm, seems really hard to me to suggest a reasonable browser.  I would
> use mozilla for my own, but I suspect many people will suggest other
> browsers.

Can I kick-start this discussion again?  What would make a good
junior-internet-tools package?  That's next up on my list to make.  Steer
clear of Gnome and KDE dependencies, please.  Also keep in mind our age 8
and under "initial audience", with 7 to 12 being our secondary audience.
If children 8 and under don't use anything other than a web browser, and
only occasionally send email (and then do that from a parent's account)
then we can just focus on providing two, possibly three browsers:

1. best GUI browser (that would be mozilla I think)

2. best "light" GUI browser (suggestions?)

3. best non-GUI browser (lynx?  links?)  or do children even need this?

Email is a decision children's sys admins will probably wish to make on
their own.  So unless there is a clear winner for a "child-friendly email
program" I'm inclined to leave that out of "version 1" of Debian Jr.  As
for other networked apps, I cannot think of any (non-game) Internet apps
that I would use with my children.  Can you?

Ben
p.s. Have I dropped the ball on any recently suggested additions to the
     "Packaged" listing?  I have a feeling that I may have, since for
     some time I put a hold on updates while I was providing i18n support
     by breaking it up into indvidual files.  Please remind me if you see
     suggestions that never made it to the listing that should go in.