Re: OpenJDK for Bookworm and beyond

On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 19:51:12 GMT Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:

> Am Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 02:06:06PM +0200 schrieb Thorsten Glaser:

> > > Last point, we still have OpenJDK 8 in unstable to help with the

> > > bootstrapping of some packages that can't build directly with the

> > > latest JDK (more specifically, Kotlin and Scala). Similarly I think we

> > > should preserve OpenJDK 11 in unstable after the transition to OpenJDK

> > > 17.

> > Who’s going to maintain that?

> > For OpenJDK 8 I took over because,

> Do we even have to keep 8 around in unstable at this point? If people want

> to bootstrap kotlin or scala for a new arch, why can't this happen on a

> buster system?

> Cheers,

>         Moritz

Every current version of Scala runs on OpenJDK 11 or above.  See:-

https://docs.scala.org/overviews/jdk-compatibility/overview.html

The only code that really needs to be in Debian for building anything scala related is sbt (which needs a current 2.12 to build), and that is the only bit of the scala infrastructure that is up to date (at 1.7.3 which is the latest version).

The scala compiler and other libraries currently on Debian are so out of date as to be of no use.  Sbt downloads everything it and the project you are building including the compiler from Maven so having them in Debian is redundant.

The only sensible alternatives to sbt are mill (not currently in Debian) and gradle (which currently says it needs openjdk 8) which used for projects which are mixed java and scala.