Re: debian key-signing in victoria bc

Hi,

Shaun Jackman said:
> On 1/9/07, Alan Ezust <alan.ezust@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ah, you maintain another java package! that's good to know.
>>
>> So azureus does not require java 1.5, I take it?
>> I see under depends, it requires java2-runtime and
>> java-virtual-machine. Those are (I think) for 1.4?
>>
>> jedit needs java 1.5, so should I list its dependency as sun-java5-jre?
>
> Good question. I don't know the answer. Best to ask debian-java.
> Depending specifically on sun-java5-jre precludes using any other Java
> VM though. I would avoid it unless sun-java5-jre is really the only
> Java VM that works with jedit.
I think that there is currently no good answer for this, a new version of
the java-policy is pending since quite a while, which might resolve this
common kind of issue (or not).
Personally I would currently tend to put something like sun-java5-jre |
java2-runtime and let my script check the java version actually used,
issuing a warning if I don't think the used java VM will work.
Not perfect but the best I could currently come with.

On a more generic note, I think that the issue comes from Java having
different compilers/VMs with different versioning, whereas
C/C++/Perl/YouNameIt has only one candidate, and can depend on a specific
version. Perfect solution would be to have all compilers/VMs align their
versioning with the Java version they _completely_ support (one could
think about things like 1.4~notyetfinished, meaning '1.4 almost
implemented'). Alternative being the possibility to have virtual packages
with versions.

Cheers, Eric

--
You don't need to CC me on debian-java, debian-mentors and
pkg-java-maintainers.