Re: findjava is the question, is fixjava the answer?

Hello Ricky,

only to debian-java and not to the BTS?

Wednesday, October 8, 2003, 11:55:23 AM, you wrote:
> I did the configuration by telling the user what PATH to set, but maybe
> this would be better done using the alternatives system (I wasn't
> thinking Debian-only at the time).
> Do you think this is worth writing again?

IMO, this has the big drawback, of all alternative bases
configurations, that the app can't be sure that the /usr/bin/java
will be able to run the app. Even more: it can't even test for it,
because 'out of packaging' JVM are also considered, which should not
happen.

[commandline compatible]
> obviously).  findjava seems to fix problems with other JVMs that don't
> provide this, and I can't see any conflict here.

findjava does not fix this, apart from internal switches, which
enable certain fetaures like jitter (required for 'client') and
server mode (something like 'longer startup, but fast during run').

The only thing it does is:
* garantee that the outputted command is instaleld by the apckageing
  system
* configure the javacommand with internal switches, so that some
  special, and requested, mode is used.

> Is there a JVM in existence that doesn't provide the standard 'java'
> wrapper (except Sun etc., where it isn't a wrapper, obviously)?

AFAIK: no.

Jan