megaraid and 2.6 kernel

First, I looked through the bug lists and I looked for another
mailing list for this, but didn't find one. If someone knows where I
should post this other than this list (it really doesn't fit here),
please let me know and I'll repost.

I have an Intel RAID controller, the SRCU42E, which uses the
megaraid driver. When I tried to do an install  using the 2.6 kernel
(linux26 parameter at boot) it could not find the drive (since the
driver is not loaded). Installed 2.4 kernel, worked just fine.

I'm trying to build a 2.6 kernel. I build it with the megaraid
driver as  part of the kernel, but it fails to find /root (on the
raid, /dev/sda2). I have never really messed with initrd's, but it
looks like maybe I should be building one to get this thing running?
But, I thought if I simply included it in the kernel, it should have
it and boot fine.

Here are the steps I took:

Install binary kernel 2.6.something (top of the list)
Install 2.6 kernel source
Did a make menuconfig (which steals the config from the binary image)
Turned on the megaraid module
make bzImage, make modules
copy bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz.2.6
copy the system map also
modified grub
reboot, watch it die 'cause it can not find the freakin' root

Any ideas. Again, I do consider this off topic, but I really am not
sure where to go. Been working on this for two days now.

Rod

--
Meddle not in the Affairs of Dragons
    for thou art crunchy, and good with catsup.