Re: Areca SATA cards

Hans du Plooy said at 08/09/2005 19:12:

Does anyone here have experience with the Areca SATA cards?  Their specs
look good, the benchmarks I've seen look fabulous, but unfortunately was
done under that other OS, and I'd like to find out what the linux
support is like.

I've only ever read excellent feedback on the 3ware cards - how do Areca
compare?

I've been using the 3ware SATA cards in all our servers until the most recent one I built which has an Areca ARC-1220 8 port PCI-E SATA.

Running it in RAID-5 mode. No complaints. The driver is GPL and in the most recent mm kernels I think. Downloaded from the Areca website, it complied out of tree straight away. There is a link on there website to a sarge install CD with the drivers included. I've see a few ML comments that indicate the driver needs some cleanup, but I've had no crashes so far.

I've not given it much benchmarking but it appears fast enough.

Let me know if you want any non-destructive testing run on it (and what you want run) and I'll see what I can do. For reference it's a dual 3.0GHz Xeon with 4 GB RAM. 8 disks, 7 in RAID 5 with one hot standby. MB is Supermicro X6DHT-G.

Ronny
--
Technical Director
Amazing Internet Ltd, London