Re: How to prevent being a 'bouncer' of evil mail?

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:01:33 -0400, Kris Deugau <kdeugau@vianet.ca> wrote:
> Figure out how to get a list of valid final recipients to your gateway-
> then that machine can reject recipients that doesn't exist.  Further
> processing is up to the sending server- or, in the case of most spam and
> viruses, the spamware or virus SMTP engine (which most likely will just
> discard that recipient for that run).

That would be a possible sollution, yes. I'll research further (see
below). The point is this is not just my case. Most BIG mail providers
seem to have a gateway mailer in the front that is not aware of mail
accounts. Do they bounce every fake message?

> >From what you've described, you're stuck with one or more hideous SMTP
> systems like Exchange that insists on accepting everything before
> rejecting unknown users with a *new* message (rather than an SMTP
> rejection code) as the final server.

Was it so obvious? =]

Anyway, now I figured that I don't need to get all account information
from the "other server". I don't need passwords, just a list of valid
logins. And then use that as a filter, at the 'smart' gateway.

Thanks for pointing me to the correct direction, Kris.

--
Yves Junqueira
www.lynx.com.br