Re: Php4 broken package ?

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Am 11:53 2003-03-13 +0100 hat De Schrijver Peter geschrieben:

> >During the install of dnsutils i saw php4 getting deinstalled, i have no
> >idea why.

> No, update your system !!!

Err ... on March 8th, Anthony Towns wrote:

"glibc 2.3.1-14 should be entering testing "tomorrow" (sometime around 30
hours from now, depending on your mirror). Along with it, some 800 other
source packages and all their binaries are expected to be updated. For
those of you running testing systems, please take care of the next few
days' upgrades, as a number of things *will* break.

"php4 will be broken on all architectures. This will be fixed by the
removal of the Conflicts: line from the libc6 packages in a forthcoming
revision. It can be worked around by not upgrading until that version of
libc6 is available; by upgrading to php4 from unstable; or by manually
forcing the dependencies (and not using apt).

As far as I know, the updated libc6 package has not yet been released; thus
upgrading php4 from unstable would seem to be the way to go.

(NOTE:  I have not done it myself.  Anyone have any real-life experience?)
msw@startext.demon.co.uk                      http://startext.demon.co.uk/
GPG pub key : 8D6B948B  ECC6 D98E 4CC8 60E3 7E32  D594 BB27 3368 8D6B 948B