Re: Bandwidth... compression... saving $$?

Hello Jason

On 3 Sep 2002 at 6:49, Jason Lim wrote:

> Lots of email... lots of mailing lists... i imagine that compressing
> emails (of which i get maybe 50-100 each day... a chunk of that is spam,
> but nonetheless it uses bandwidth) would yield very high compression
> rates.

We use uucp mail for dial-up mail servers. The mail is routed into
our main server with smtp. We compress each file with gzip before
dropping it in a uucp spool. Each dial-up server collects its mail
via uucp, uncompresses with gzip and then feeds it on to exim for
local delivery.

We handle 300 to 500 mB of this mail per day. I have never stopped to
check what the compression ratio of incoming to outgoing e-mail is.
However the outgoing volumes are significantly lower. Anti-spam and
anti-virus stuff on the main server filters out quite a lot junk too.

How about getting yourself a server in HK. Set it up with uucp +
gzip, and download it from your server in Australia. At least this is
much simpler to setup than tunnels etc. The uucp is extremely solid -
it never looses a byte of mail.

Another consideration though, is the ratio of local to international
e-mail. We have a similar (probably worse) situation with monopoly
pricing in South Africa. I have considered hosting our mail server
overseas. But that would mean a lot of mail gets round tripped, from
SA overseas and then back to SA.

Regards

Ian
Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 21 683-1388  Fax: +27 21 674-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa