Re: [Fwd: Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?]

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 07:19:27AM +0800, Jason Lim wrote:

> > > Because the distinction between a customer and an ISP is not clear.
> > > [...]
> >
> > that was a tautology.  it only matters if you think size is relevant.
> >
> > it doesn't matter in the slightest whether an ISP's customer is another
> > ISP or not.
>
> Using your mentality, then everything always gets escalated to the highest
> point (since everyone below the top-most ISP is essentially a customer).
> So... essentially, the highest point is nearly always the network
> provider... UUnet, Level3, MCIWorldcom... whomever owns the actual
> physical cable.

Calm down and think it through.

There is a chain of responsiblity and any incident can be escalated.

If ISP1 is on Sprint and ISP1 takes no action about
spam from spammer-leaf-node-on-ISP1, then one needs to escalate to
Sprint to take action to enforce aup on ISP1.  If it turns out that
sprint pipes mail to abuse@ into /dev/null, or even has a yellow
contract with ISP1 that permits spam, then what?  Or it might be
that an ISP is trying to do something about a customer (monsterhut)
or is just half-assed.  Maybe you use rfc-ignorant.

It's also possible that your standards might not jibe with everyone
elses.  Me, I think any site sending email that will not accept bounces
deserves to go into RBL.  Not everyone would even qualify such email
as spam, but we do.

You might decide that your customers cannot live without Sprint.  You
might decide that they cannot live **long term** with such actions.  Or
you might give them a choice.