Re: Building custom kernel based off stock debian kernel

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Nick Jennings wrote:

>  After examining the source tree from this, I have found that it does
>  not have a .config at all, and I do not this any of the debian patches
>  have been applied. This looks like kernel.org source.

This is a plain source, as it only contains the tarball and the .dsc!

>  Is the 'source kernel-image-2.4.17' what I am supposed to be building
>  from? If so, why is there no '.config' in there? Where do I get the
>  '.config' from?

$ dpkg -L kernel-image-2.4.17-686 |grep config
/boot/config-2.4.17-686

> <apply customization>
> patch kernel && 'make menuconfig' to customize kernel configuration.
>
> <build kernel package>
> gateway:/usr/src/linux# make-kpkg --revision=gateway.1 --initrd buildpackage

Should be correct, but please do apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.17, not
apt-get source something. It will install the source in /usr/src

Hope this helps

Alex

--
"Forgive me, but I'm talking to a politician."
	John Simpson, BBC World