Re: BGP / Zebra

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:13, Anders Gjære wrote:
> The machine is running 2.2 kernel
>
> I don't think zebra is supported on 2.4.x kernels

What problem does it have with 2.4.x?

> # Side note, the RealTek and StarTech NICs at a local store
> # were being bought
> # at $14, and resold for $50.  The 3Com NICs were being bought
> # at $55, and
> # resold at $65.

I've seen NE2000 clones do more than 25% of the bandwidth of 100baseT.  I
really doubt that this is the entire problem, or even a significant part of
it.

> # Secondly, try your motherboard -- if the PCI bus speed is
> # only 66Mb/s, then
> # you'll only be able to do about 60Mbps -- you'll *never* hit 100Mbps,
> # because your motherboard just physically can't handle it.

This is totally wrong.  There are two speeds for PCI, 33MHz and 66MHz, which
come in both 32bit and 64bit variants.  32bit * 33MHz can do 132MB/s in burst
mode, doing 10MB/s is no great challenge.

> # Note that the
> # ISA bus speed is usually slower than PCI, so you'll get even
> # slower throughput.

You just don't want to use ISA at all if you want performance.