duplicate network filesystems (was: HA mailserver (smtp, pop3, imap, imap/ssl))

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Saku Ytti wrote:

> We are looking replacement for SunCluster (2*e450) mail server and would
> preferally like to do it with x86/linux cluster software can be commercial
> or free.
>
> What software are currently used to build these? Requirment is that
> the media is replicated and locking functions properly so we can pop
> machines in/out and all user accounts/all mail still works only if
> one server is pop out load on other machines just increses slightly.
>
> There can't be any SPOF.

This "single point of failure" made me wonder... is there such thing as a
network filesystem that can simultaneously write to two (or more) remote
servers?

For example, a write(2) or fprintf(3) to a file wouldn't be successful
unless it was succesfully written to two (or more selected) remote
fileservers. Anything like that? (Hopefully open source.) Can any NFS or
SMB/CIFS versions/protocols support that?

Maybe this special network filesystem could be configured, for example, to
have five remote fileservers. Every data written to this mounted
filesystem would have to successfully write to all these filservers. Then
when reading, it could just grab from any.

Then if one fileserver was down (even temporarily), then all the other
fileservers (all four) would have to queue a message about the data and
task and some heartbeat between fileservers could alert it when back up
and then make sure that the particular filesystem is properly updated.

What do you all think about this?

Thanks,

  Jeremy C. Reed
     ISP-FAQ.com -- find answers to your questions
     http://www.isp-faq.com/