Re: Ping message

On 01-08-08 Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Fernando Casas wrote:
> > I´m getting this message every time i ping a machine on the LAN. And
> > just on the LAN.

> > Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures.

> I believe your ping command is using features only available in a newer
> kernel. Maybe upgrade your kernel (2.4.4?) or see if your ping has a -U
> switch to ignore this.

What should a feature of a kernel has to do with a message from ping
complaining about problems with the time measurement?

I don't understand the source of ping completely, but I would say that
this message is a hint to a problem with the clock. This message is
exactly then printed then the time that ping calculated for the trip of
an icmp package is less then 0, which means, that there's something
screwed on the box.

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)