can't exec /usr/sbin/named-xfer no such file or directory

That's the message in my logs. I chrooted bind and no matter what will i do
it's always the same. I tried to set named-xfer path in named.conf but it
doesn't change anything. Of course the file is there and has rx attribute
for all as all directories. In act of despair i copied named-xfer executable
in every directory it could be searching and, as you can guess it didn't
work. I even tried to set non relative path to chroot cage but it also
didn't helped.

I'm running Debian Potato and bind 8.2.3 on i486. Strange thing is that I
also chrooted it on my second box (Alpha 2000 DEC 500 same debian), and it
works without complaints. Firtst I thought it was my fault, some mispelling
in paths or something like that. I rechecked it 4 times and all changes are
the same on both.

Thanks in advance
JA