Re: Very huge email service

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 02:36:01PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:

> >Unfortunately I'm afraid the bottleneck wouldn't be the filesystem (add
> >boxen vertically, and hash the maildirs out onto several filesystems).
> >The problem with using Linux for NFS servers is the slowness of userspace
> >NFS and instability of knfs (the places I've seen knfs under high load
> >has suffered from repeated breakdowns, I'd love to help debugging this,
> >but I have too much work on the network side, and have just started
> >CCIE certification, so I don't have much of that ever needed time).
> >Of course you could add Linux boxen with userspace NFS, but you'd need
> >a lot...
>
> How bad is the performance?

I don't have any numbers, sorry. Only speaking from past experience.

> I think that smart SMTP gateways are the way to split between several Linux
> machines not NFS.  The other option is to have NFS from a Netapp (which does
> perfrom) and then have any machine deliver for any user.

That would solve one part, the other part, POP3 would either require
a frontend/storage solution or require that people get their separate
POP-server, which could prove a management hassle.

> >> The system we're talking about will cost less than $1 per user.  When a
> >> government is paying it shouldn't be a problem.
> >

> Maybe a group of us should start sending out email to all the big Argentinian
> ISPs offering to work for whoever submits the winning bid!  I'd be quite
> happy to live in Argentina for 6 months or so to implement such a system.
> I'm sure that between the 5-6 of us who have been discussing this we have
> enough combined skills and experience to complete this project with ease
> provided that we have the hardware.

Would be fun.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards
  Andreas Plesner Jacobsen (System Administrator) / World Online Denmark A/S