httpd acceleration

 Hello... I have some problems with a apache httpd server and i need some
help...
  I've heard that some people used squid for web server acceleration,but
my setup is somehow strange,and I don't know hot this will work....
So,here's the situation: I run a machine  with debian 2.1,apache 1.3.9
and virtual host hosting (e.g. everyone has a xxx.mmm.com name for his
pages).I have a few protections against hotlinking,and a script that
parses every text/html document sent out to place some things in it.My
question is,how could I fasten up things?Right now machine is running at
4-5 load ,and there is plenty of free memory...Any ideas?