Re: Radvd and prefix delegation

Hélder Pinheiro  <pinheiro.helder13@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think you can solve the issue changing the programs boot order:
>http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch03.en.html#_the_runlevel_management_example
>
>Basically, you need to go to /etc/rcX.d/ and put radvd with more priority.

These days, the priorities are determined by the LSB headers in the init
script, if I understand correctly.

In the case of radvd we have:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          radvd
# Required-Start:    $syslog $remote_fs $network
# Required-Stop:     $syslog $remote_fs $network
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: Router Advertising Daemon
### END INIT INFO

which looks correct to me.

Requiring the network doesn't cause execution of the script to be delayed
until all the interfaces are up, however. In particular, it doesn't seem to
wait for the PPP interface.

A move to systemd is supposed to help with such issues, but as far as I know
it can't be configured to wait for an interface to become available. I might
be wrong - I haven't yet looked at systemd in depth.

Perhaps doing it in the PPP script, or changing the lsb header in radvd to
Required-Start: $all (as in rc.local) would be the way to proceed, rebuilding
the symlinks accordingly in the latter case.