Re: IPv6 linklocal address on bridged interfaces

Luca> [1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>] Hi all, I'm
Luca> currently scratching my head with this doubt/curiosity: why do
Luca> Linux bridged interfaces have an ipv6 linklocal address? is it
Luca> fine?

Luca> In particular, I'm currently experiencing troubles in such a
Luca> scenario with two virtual machines bridged to a virtual switch.

Luca>  [VM-A] ---- br0 ---- (virtual switch) --- br1 --- [VM-B]

A bridge is an interface in its own right.  Typically I set them up
to have several real interfaces attached to them, none of which is
assigned an IP address, but the bridge is assigned an address, and
acts as a normal interface to the host.

Why are you using the bridges anyway, rather than attaching the VM's
interfaces directly to the switch?

Peter c