IPV6 & Cable/DSL/Wireless Blockage

Hello List,

As I understand, it is not possible to operate an IPV6 tunnel behind a NATting
router. This would mean that all Cable/DSL/Wireless customers are ineligible
to run an IPV6 tunnel! (Since virtually all small-box routers are not
IPV6-compatible) Is this true?

My wireless router has a public IP on cable, and the manufacturer (Belkin
F5D8230-4) says that it is not IPV6-compatible.  I'm not sure exactly what
they mean, whether it's that
- there is no IPV6 settings in the web-based interface, or
- that it will not pass protocol 41 at all.

If it does pass protocol 41(which it may, since it's pre-802.11n), how does it
know where to pass it to?  It wouldn't, and there's no place to tell it.

If I set the gateway up as DMZ in the Belkin, I believe it is just bridged to
the external interface.  This should mean it's virtually connected and the IP
4 address is "Y'ed" on both.  So there should be no way the gateway can get
an IPV6 address.  But maybe tunnelling could happen, or a miracle could
occur.   It has a web-based setup which shows all config, including the WAN 4
address.  But my gateway would still not have an external IP for the tunnel
to Hurricane.

I can't believe this has never come up before.  I have searched all day.

Another question would be does it route protos 50 & 51 (IPSec)?  It obviously
routes ICMP, although nowhere in the literature is that mentioned.

I just found out that Comcast (the cable ISP) doles out IPV6 addresses
automatically to devices compatible.  But replacing the Belkin is not an
option, due to cost.

Can you advise?

Best,

Carl Cook