Re: can't install x11-common

Hi, Martin.

2010/11/13 Martin Koeppe <mkoeppe@gmx.de>:

> Hi ilya,
>
>>Setting up X server socket directory /tmp/.X11-unix...chown:
>>`root:root': invalid user
>>dpkg: error processing x11-common (--configure):
>>subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>>
>>How that (chown error) can be fixed ?
>
> you are using x11-common from the official debian archive.
> x11-common is arch:all, so basically this works, but sometimes arch:all
> packages need to be modified for debian-interix.
> In the package installation script, the user "root" is named explicitely,
> but of course it is not available on debian-interix. So this is not a chmod
> problem.
>
> I have built a patched x11-common package which is available in the
> debian-interix archives. To use that version, you need to change the apt-get
> config (from http://debian-interix.net):
>
>  You should create the file /etc/apt/preferences with the following
>  content to avoid updating arch-all packages to the standard Debian
>  version when a change for Interix has been made. See
>  apt_preferences(5) for details.
>
>  Package: *
>  Pin: release a=unreleased35
>  Pin-Priority: 800

Thanks for your help.
Preferences was set to "unreleased60". I've changed it to 35, removed
x11-common and run apt-get install x11-common again.
All worked like a charm.

>> PS. chown is from
>> http://debian-interix.net/debian-interix/bootstrap-tools/coreutils/bin.tgz
>> PPS. Can you move bullet about replacing default coreutils by
>> http://debian-interix.net/debian-interix/bootstrap-tools/coreutils/bin.tgz
>> to the start of INSTALL ? Since default coreutils are often not fully
>> compatible. For example, mkdir(1) accept only -m, but not --mode.
>> Default date(1) and chown(1) are also bugged.
>
> When did you see these incompatibilities? Already when bootstapping
> debian-interix, or later when installing packages of your choice?
> I thought the bootstrap would go through with the default coreutils, so I
> placed this bullet after the bootstrapping instructions. But I'll change the
> order if you saw errors already when bootstrapping.
>
> Martin

Errors with mkdir, date, chown were later when I was installing
additional packages.
Actually there are two paragraphs about coreutils. One at the end of
INSTALL talking about errors during package setup and with direct link
to coreutils. And one after paragraph talking about how to install
additional packages with link to bootstrap-tools folder. So merging
that two paragraphs in one placed right after instruction of how to
use apt-get install will be enough, from my point of view :)

WBR,
ilya.