Re: apt 0.7.25: Please translate the manpages of APT

2009/12/12 Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>:
> Quoting David Kalnischkies (kalnischkies+debian@gmail.com):
>> Dear Debian I18N people,
>>
>> I would like to know if some of you would be interested in translating
>> the manpages of APT.
>>
>> apt already includes de.po es.po fr.po it.po ja.po pl.po pt_BR.po.
>> So do not translate it to these languages (the translators and
>> language teams for these will be contacted separately).
>
> Have they?
I have written the mails to es, it, pl and pt_BR without attachment,
but with a link to this thread as i thought it will be a bit large for the
mailinglists and the private mailboxes for an "unknown contact".

Status is so far that the mailboxes of the translators of es and pl
has rejected my mail - for both translations the last change dates
back into the year 2004. I have added this to the threads, which is i
think more or less the only thing i can do about it for now. Maybe
they are still active on the list (with a different mailadress) or
someone else intend to pick it up.

On it@ i have confused a few people with my mails, but while we
discuss now if it is a good idea to "drop" some translations for 0.7.25
to hopefully reintroduce them later on freshly updated,
the interest seems to be pretty strong to have manpages/doc ready
for squeeze - and this is all what was intended. :)
(btw: the last change for it dates back to 2000)

No response on pt_BR so far (the last change is again from 2004),
but it is in general a bit early now to summarize the current status.

de, fr and ja translators are contacted in private as the translations
are in a good shape (expect the two new translatable files) and as
i need/want to contact them also for other reasons - so i don't want
to generate even more noise.

Given that Christian is the fr translator i am a bit puzzled now -
but this is okay. The de translator has already answered so
currently the only spot i will have an eye on is ja, but i will wait
quite a bit of time before even thinking about further steps as
the ja translator is also the writer of the initial po4a patch for apt
so i really think he has at least some interest.

Thanks for listening and for the interest so far!

David Kalnischkies

P.S.: I have omitted names as i don't like to mention names then
the "name-holder" is not at least cc'ed, but given that this is only
a status overview this mail is maybe far away from their interest.