Re: localized Packages and debconf templates

Em Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:37:19 +0200
Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> escreveu:

> In my opinion, Packages could be handled via the following way:
> Description-lang could be added to debian/control by an individual
> maintainer - presumably this will be used for languages the
> maintainer speaks, and feels competent to write the description in.
>
> Translating team then translates only those descriptions not having
> the translation for the language in question. For packages having the
> description in target language, they just take Description-lang
> verbatim (+- correcting mistakes), and create translated
> Packages file.
>
> This would require changes in dpkg.
I don't like this approach as dpkg would have to be modified but it
has the advantage that even if you got the package off from an
ftp site without getting the Packages.gz before you'd hae the description
translated...

But I still think the better way is to create Packages.gz from a
database of translations without touching dpkg...

> With growing number of target languages, situation can however
> become rather unpleasant (think of >20 languages - maintainer
> would end up doing nothing else except of maintaining submitted
> translations)
I don't think that managing > 20 languages would be that time
consuming.... if you have good politicies on handling templates
(having them separated and then merging them as needed, for example)
it would be as simple as adding the file to debian/ and modifying
(or not) debian/rules

[]s!

--
    Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>