Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

Dear ftp-masters,

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:05:27PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> * get rid of hurd (or discuss this)

The last communication we had with you guys (well, not you personally
for the most part, but the ftp-masters back then) was about this page:

http://wiki.debian.org/ArchiveQualification/hurd-i386

We tried to meet those requirements and keep this page current, but
there has not been much response from ftp-master except for some remarks
by aj when he was still on the team.

If the above criteria have changed in the meantime, we would like to hear
about it and discuss what steps could be taken to meet them.

We believe the port is generally in a decent enough shape these days,
given where it is coming from and the (granted just a handful, but
possibly more than for some of the less popular Linux ports) porters
have been working a lot to improve it.  In particular, the successful
GSoC project last year provided us with a solid port of
debian-installer.

The autobuilders are keeping up nicely these days and we also recently
requested to get outdated binary packages with build regressions removed
from the archive to lessen the impact of the port on the archive.

Moving back to the main buildd.debian.org wanna-build a while ago also
helped a lot in fellow Debian maintainers noticing portability issues in
their packages and fixing those themselves or contacting us to
collaborate on a fix.  Over 100 different developers have logged into
the porter box (strauss.debian.net) over time.

We would be happy to have a discussion with you about this in some irc
channel during this week's meeting; Monday or Tuesday (before 9PM)
evening would be most convenient for us, would this work for you?

For the Debian GNU/Hurd porters,

Michael Banck