Re: What's the command to create swap in hurd

Barry deFreese wrote:

  Of course this is assuming you created a swap partition and
  initilized it?  (I think)

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

Nope, swapon doesn't care where it is going to swap to, but you can
also share it with GNU/Linux, but then you have to use mkswapfs on the
file/device.

Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:

...he means that, if you want to have Linux use a swap-partition after The Hurd has used it, then *Linux* will require you to run `mkswap'.... The Hurd does not know or care about `swap-signatures'--it'll happily use whatever partition you give it without requiring you to `initialise' it. . . . So, all you have to do is -activate- your swap via `swapon'--if I recall correctly, this will happen automatically at boot if you list the swap-partition(s) in /etc/fstab.

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

As I noted before, swapon doesn't care about the contents of the
partition by default.  But if you want to share the partition with
GNU/Linux you need to run mkswapfs on the partition, then swapon will
detect it an honour it.

Wolfgang Jaehrling wrote:

No need to [initialize a swap partition in the Hurd].

Roland McGrath wrote:

If you have a raw partition, just use it and the Hurd will happily use the
whole partition.  If you have a partition already being used for swap under
Linux, you can use that and the headers that Linux needs won't be clobbered.

Thanks folks! Okay, so all I need to do is create the swap partition, and then use it, without initializing it first. It's only if I share the partition with Linux that it needs to be initialized. Cool.

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)