Re: mkfs and fsck in /sbin

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 04:35:52PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > Let's file on general, wait a reasonable period of time, then start
> > filing individual bugs with the certainty that noone will complain
> > on us filing mass-bugs.
>
> A bug on 'general' will be fowarded to debian-devel anyway and I suspect
> that the response won't be as favourable as could be. There will
> probably be a lot of opposition anyway,

what opposition do you mean? the issue is clear: there's a bug in a number
of packages that only affects GNU/Hurd and needs to be fixed.

> but IMHO a normal posting to
> -devel announcing the filings would be the better way.

i read somewhere that a problem affecting a big number of packages should
be filed into general or reported to -devel, and only filed to indivudual
packages if the first option fails.

but there aren't that many anyway:

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=sbin%2Fmkfs&searchmode=searchfilesanddirs&version=unstable
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=sbin%2Ffsck&searchmode=searchfilesanddirs&version=unstable

that is 6 plus other filesystem-related utils that are not mkfs/fsck

perhaps we should file individual packages directly, without reporting?

> Then again, I think solving this problem in another way is preferable.

which way? the symlink option does need to modify individual packages too.

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992