Re: NTP + Build updates

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 09:37:38PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> > I am currently deep into turtle development, so all feature requests are
> > welcome.
>
> Another thing: From what I've seen, there is a one-day (typical) delay
> between when a dependency has been built and when dependees are ready,
> because turtle wants to install dependencies only from the ftp server
> (where they have to go through the dinstall routine).

Build dependencies are checked against the locally installed packages: They
are not an archive consistency check (we have the testing distribution for that),
but only a local check for the administrator.

For the status page, only the archive is used (so you won't get an
`up-to-date' just because turtle built and uploaded the package, it needs to
be installed first).

In some way, it would be meaningful to check the archive for build
dependencies, because unbuildable packages are not allowed in the
distribution. But this is not turtles job to determine.

> It would be fine if turtle could access packages built by itself
> immediately, cutting short the round trip around ftp.debian.org. Maybe
> this is already possible by some set-up tricks, and Jeff has just not
> done it, though?

I will leave this for later when turtle can actually do something about
build dependencies, apart from complaining about. (I think sbuild can set up
a fakeroot, it would be interesting to see if it can be intergrated in
turtle without too much hassles).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de