Re: how to install or boot hppa over my local network ?

Good Morning,

use tcpdump.

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\pappy>tcpdump
Der Befehl "tcpdump" ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder
konnte nicht gefunden werden.

oups.  yet again, windows sucks.

anyway, get these both:

http://winpcap.polito.it/install/bin/WinPcap_3_0_a4.exe

... read all disclaimers ... blabla ... blindly typing go, go, go ;-)

http://windump.polito.it/install/bin/alpha/WinDump.exe

try again...

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\pappy>windump -h
windump version current-cvs.tcpdump.org, based on tcpdump version current-cvs.tc
pdump.org
WinPcap version 3.0 alpha, based on libpcap version current-cvs.tcpdump.org
Usage: windump [-aAdDeflnNOpqRStuvxX] [-B size] [-c count] [ -C file_size ]
                [ -F file ] [ -i interface ] [ -r file ] [ -s snaplen ]
                [ -T type ] [ -w file ] [ -E algo:secret ] [ expression ]

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\pappy>windump -l -nnnnn

after copying it into  %SYSTEMROOT%, you should be able to call it from cmd.exe

windump: listening on \Device\NPF_{D715D9AB-0D77-45DA-B3B0-7FBE9BA21DE2}

and what a nice device name of course.

so, this tool will help you to sniff out any problems with tftp, bootp, rarp, dhcp, nfs and any other crappy devices hanging around in your network.

windump has been adapted from the great tcpdump, which helps network guys all over the world understand what they did wrong setting up boot servers and other things in a TCP/IP network.

have fun,

bye, Alex