Native Debian on Zaurus 5500?

Hi,

I brought a Zaurus 5500 recently and I'm trying to find out what ROM
suits my needs best. I like the idea of having Debian running on my
Zaurus without any chroot-jail.So, is there any need to to have Debian
chrooted, or would it be possible to install it on a SD-card normally,
and use the card as the root, probably doing a pivot_root, or even by
compiling a kernel with root=/dev/mmcda1?

Compiling opie and gpe on Debian should be possible, so both could be
used. (There are some gpe-packages in testing/unstable, so this has
been done at least partialy).

And my last question: When it is possible to do a "native" debian
install, what binaries of a Sharp/OE ROM are needed, are there any
binaries that are Zaurus specific?

Bye,
Christian