Re: just a little Opie status...

> I had been thinking that it would also be a good idea to provide both X11
> and framebuffer environments, since there almost certainly won't be room for
> both in the base image.  I assume that opie needs to be built differently
> for X11 and Qt/e, though I haven't looked at this at all really.  I have an
> xfree86-tinyx deb (in unstable) which runs X on the framebuffer and supports
> the Zaurus touchscreen, using a daemon which translates the Zaurus
> touchscreen events into equivalent iPAQ touchscreen events (which
> xfree86-tinyx supports).  It's a little rough, but does work.  Eventually,
> it would be nice for xfree86-tinyx to support the Zaurus touchscreen
> natively and get rid of the daemon hack.
>
> Ideally, we would be able to support configurations like:
>
> - opie on qt/e
> - opie on x11
> - traditional x11 with matchbox and a menu of some sort
>
> This might be a little ambitious for the first cut of the packages, if it's
> nontrivial, but it's something to keep in mind.

I guess my question would be what do we currently "need".  Is there a
current need for both x11 & qt/e versions of opie on all archs?

We can provide both x11 & qt/e versions of opie but that of course doubles
the amount of packages.  I know we all just love hearing that evil word from
the ftp guys "bloat".  :)

Ivan

Ivan

--